I worked at Florida Sea Base over the summer. I was there for 9 weeks; I missed staff training because I started late and did on job training. I know people have a lot of questions about my time there, so I thought I would make this first post about my time there and things that surprised me that I think would be helpful to know going into it. They tell you that the days are long and that you have lots to do, this is somewhat true, yes the days are long but depending on who you work with and how you manage your scouts and time you will not feel like you are working as much as you are and you will get built in breaks as you go. Like I said before I did miss staff training because I started late, but I didn't worry too much because I was shadowing someone for a week before they sent me off on my own. I did find it a little bit overwhelming at the begin because I was trying to learn the process of everything while also being expected to do it. However, I feel like they did a great job making sure I had support when or if I needed it. I also think that looking back it helped me to build confidence because I was able to prove to myself that I can do it and that I know more than I let myself believe. Another thing that they don't give much info on is the living situation. It is not ideal, but it is a place to live for free. You are going to be sharing a room with 4-6 people. You will also have to share storage space, a bathroom and vanity space. Again, it was a little bit overwhelming going into it not knowing but after being there and settling in you will adjust. And lastly this is somewhat unrelated, but they make it sound like you are going to be on base all the time. You can be on base all the time if you want to but there are many times that you can get off base and explore. If you are willing to make friends and talk to people you will find yourself off base quite often. Overall, it is a great experience, and it is an amazing place to experience and work in. It can be overwhelming and scary at first but don't let yourself overthink it and make things up in your head, because the more you think about it the more stressed, you're going to be. Think of it in the light and the experiences you are going to have and the memories you are going to make. It is so worth every minute there!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thrifted Halloween Costumes
With Halloween being tomorrow I thought I would share some things that I have been doing the past few years. I have been thrifting clothes ...
-
I have been trying to eat a better diet and eat more balanced foods. I want to feel better, and have more energy, and I feel that by have c...
-
I worked at Florida Sea Base over the summer. I was there for 9 weeks; I missed staff training because I started late and did on job ...
-
I am someone who does not like to eat breakfast because I don't like most breakfast foods. Because of this I am trying to find other thi...
I loved how you wrote about your experience at the sea base. It sounds like you were able to learn a lot and grow as a person. I am so happy that you enjoyed your time there and was able to experience something that sounds so unique. I'm personally not super interested in this position but it give me an insight on what you were doing over the summer. I hope you can find another job that is just as fun this summer.
ReplyDeleteHi Sam! The time you spent at the Florida Sea Base sounds so fun. I'm so happy you were able to have that experience. I'm glad that you were still able to learn even though you missed the training session. Overall the sea base sounds really fun with how many opportunities and activities that they have there. I like that they aren't exclusive to a certain age group and that anyone at any level is able to go and have fun. I honestly didn't know much about the Florida Sea Base until you talked about it in class. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteHi Sam! I am glad you actually enjoyed your time at the Florida Sea base I know you had so much fun. I hoped you learned a lot from that experience. I would actually like to hear more about it.
ReplyDelete